Tuesday 5 July 2016

Lesson 26

Lesson 26 is a return to thinking about attacking thoughts. This time though I am to think about attacking thoughts towards me from others and how it affects me. The purpose of this exercise is to realise attacking thoughts are only able to attack me if I accept them as that. I am only vulnerable if I allow myself to be.

I am still writing in Ireland and I have been spending lots of time speaking to the people who live here and I have witnessed the loveliest of attitudes. There's almost a 'so what, it will work out' way of thinking to a lot of issues and they laugh so much. That ultimately is what I am aiming for.

Today on a tour around Dublin, a tour guide told this story of a 10 foot wall that once was erected around an area of the city to keep the sick people contained. Obviously the sick people didn't like being separated and tried to climb the wall. As a result of so many escapees, men with barge poles were employed to hit the sick people if they planned a bid for freedom. This is where the expression 'I wouldn't touch him with barge pole' comes from.

The image of those sick people climbing a wall stayed with me and if you like me suffer with bad thoughts that just suddenly pop up or thoughts trying to ruin your happy mood then you will understand how that image is exactly what I think is going on in my mind.







No comments:

Post a Comment