Monday 13 June 2016

Lesson 5

There was a slight hiccup in my journey to work this morning, but I stayed calm even though my thoughts were telling me I should start to panic as I may be late for work, I was actually feeling quite smug that maybe I was starting to change and I was handling stressful situations better. I wasn't late for work and once again I was happy I didn't waste any energy worrying about something that never happened.

That all changed when I eventually arrived at work, my desk had been used over the weekend and there was rubbish everywhere, a Pret bag full of empty food cartons, dirty mugs, cutlery and an empty drinks can. I don't know why this had such an impact on me, but I was so annoyed, I ranted about the selfishness of my co-workers, took pictures of the mess and reported it to one of the managers.

Why didn't I just calmly put everything in the bin, it would have only taken seconds to do so and then get on with my day I just don't know. Why do the actions of others really get to me. They are thoughtless, I am not, so why do I let that ruin part of my day.

A number of hours after that all happened, I know exactly how I should have behaved but at the time I felt like I was on a mission to prove how disgusting and filthy these people are and nothing was going to stop me.

There's a expression by Confucius which states "Before you embark on revenge, dig two graves' and that's really what I should have thought about this morning as my stress levels were so high I had shooting pains through my chest all morning, I felt I could have literally dug my own grave!

Ironically (or not) Lesson 5 is to think about the phrase - 'I am never upset for the reason I think'

I am to think about any situations which are currently upsetting me and apply that phrase to my thoughts. There are many situations which I am currently finding upsetting and I am working through them one by one.

I was inspired today to watch the film 'The Shift' which is a film put together by Dr Wayne Dyer. I am a huge fan of his work but I have always been put off watching the film as it starts in a very cheesy way (look it up and you will see) but today I felt drawn to watch it. Putting aside the obvious story line which runs through the film, watching Dr Dyer speaking to a camera in his way is inspiring. The one theme running through the film which resonates with me is that I have to let go of control of my life. I have to absolutely stop trying to control all of my life, I have to let be what is meant to be. It is evident in my experience that the more I try to cling onto something and control it, no matter how bad I want it, the more the guarantee it is to slip away from me to never be seen again.







No comments:

Post a Comment