Sunday 26 June 2016

Lesson 17

I was catching up with Orange is the new Black, if you haven't seen it it's an American comedy drama set in a women's prison. Whilst it is very funny at times it is also serious, gritty and very dark. One of the characters, Piper, was set upon by a gang who wanted revenge so they took her to the prison kitchen. They then branded her (with an iron rod heated up on the kitchen gas hob). I can't even begin to tell you how I felt when I realised they were branding her with the worst symbol of our time. I can't speak the name of the sign as that in my mind validates it but think Germany, Second World War. Yes it's fiction but I felt physically sick. Following the episode I thought about it and how she was going to live like that. I then watched the next episode and Pipers friends made the sign into a window, think a child's drawing of a window. She had to be burnt again, but she was willing to go through that pain once again so she didn't have to live with the alternative.

That's how minds think differently, I was trying to think of a way she was going to live with it but her prison friends thought of a way to change the situation so she didn't have to live with it at all.

Retraining my mind is so important, I am beginning to see how. Lesson 17 keeps with the theme of I don't see neutral things. I have been looking at everything around my and reaffirming that my thoughts about everything aren't neutral.

I kept a level head this evening whilst going through the the Sunday night chores, making sure my sons school uniform, PE kit, football training bag and swimming bag are sorted (why do children need so many bags!) cleaning the house and sorting myself out for work, all went well. My son even helped with the vacuuming! I just kept telling myself no one enjoys this but it has to be done and I am a happy mother and doing it all really is something I should be grateful for. Which I obviously am.

I saw this today and it made me smile...

"You have mastered the selfie. Now, master thy self."

No comments:

Post a Comment